Simon Maddrell was born in Douglas, Isle of Man in 1965 and brought up in Bolton, UK. After twenty years in London, he moved to Brighton & Hove in 2020.
Simon writes through the lens of a queer Manx man, thriving with HIV.
He is published in fourteen anthologies in the UK and USA including The Sixty-Four: Best Poets of 2019, Black Mountain Press, 2020 and The Best New British & Irish Poets 2019-2021, The Black Spring Press, 2021. His poems appear in various publications including AMBIT, Butcher’s Dog, Stand, The Moth, The New European, Morning Star, Paragon, The Raw Art Review, Prickly Pear and American Poetry. His debut chapbook, Throatbone was published by UnCollected Press (MA, USA) in August 2020. Queerfella was Joint Winner in The Rialto Open Pamphlet Competition and published in Dec 2020. Nine Pens Press (UK) published All About Our Mothers with Vasiliki Albedo and Mary Mulholland in Jan. 2022.
Prizes & Competitions:
• Joint Winner, The Rialto Open Pamphlet Competition 2020 –– Queerfella
• Commended, Fool for Poetry Chapbook Competition 2021 –– The Species Forecast
• Longlist, Cinnamon Press Pamphlet Competition 2021 –– Manxisle
• Longlist, Poetry Book Awards 2020 –– Throatbone.
Poem Prizes & Competitions:
• First-runner up, Frogmore Poetry Prize 2020 –– ‘The snow leopard bites its own tail’
• Highly Commended, The Winchester Poetry Prize 2021 –– ‘nature poem’
• Highly Commended, Welsh Poetry Competition 2020 –– ‘A nut roast has arrived’
• Longlist, The Brian Dempsey Memorial Prize 2022 –– ‘One night awaits us all’
• Longlist, The Rialto Nature and Place Competition 2020 –– ‘Half-rotten, half-new’
$8 BOOK + $5 SHIPPING + $.48 MD TX
Purchase Simon’s chapbooks
Throatbone, UnCollected press, MA, USA:
Queerfella, Rialto Poetry, UK: bit.ly/BuyQueerfella
About Our Mothers, Nine Pens Press, UK: bit.ly/BuyAllAboutOurMothers
Social Media & Internet:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/simonmaddrellpoetry