OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS
GUIDELINES (NOT RULES):
NOTE – Follow us on our website to stay current on all journal submissions and contests. See follow button at the top of the sidebar on our homepage.
- RAR is looking for short stories, poems and artwork (all media) that use content and form to express powerful emotions, aesthetics, ideas and/or revelations. We do not discriminate against any genre.
- The RAR SPRING 2023 Journal will appear In Print and as an Online Publication. Artwork and Writing also may be posted to RAR’s home page as a Featured Work of Art. The In-Print version of the journal is a high quality, perfect-bound, full color cover and interior production. We use coated paper to present the artwork in the best possible way. Author BIOs, which may include web and social media channel addresses, also appear in both versions of the book. NOTE: – The Raw Art Review is no longer offering a contributor’s copy for works published in this book. The cost of producing this book is very high and sales of the book are typically low. We have therefore reduced the reading fee for submission, will offer all contributors a free electronic version of the journal, and will offer the printed version of the journal for sale from the UnCollected Press Website.
- Submissions may also result in the artist/writer being selected as a Featured Artist in a dedicated gallery or library accessible from the RAR home page. (See Featured Artist Page).
- Artists whose work generates particular interest among our editors may be invited to submit a manuscript for book publication of poetry, prose (fiction or non-fiction), and artwork.
- There are no rules of form and content. The sole criteria for acceptance is the power of the emotional/psychological/spiritual/physiological impact on editors reading the poem. A piece of writing or artwork can be tightly wrought and beautifully organized or wild, unruly and improvisational.
- There are no particular trade-craft requirements. Single or double space, left-center-right justification, long lines/short lines, standard use of punctuation or use of line breaks to set a poem’s rhythm, etc. NOTE: we attempt to maintain as much of your formatting as we can in the book production.
- GOOD ENOUGH IS PERFECT – TYPOS – we understand it is difficult to catch all typos and other “errors”. NOTE: we will presume a typo or error is volitional, so for the purpose of maintaining your intent for the writing or artwork it is in your best interest to review carefully, get help from others, etc. NOTE: If you need line/copy editing for this submission or any other manuscripts, RAR Editors are available. Email us at email@example.com for details and an estimate.
- Review of writing and artwork is blind. Please do not put your name or any other identifying information on your manuscript pages.
- BIO is not required at this time. You can include a BIO and publication history in the cover letter if you want, or you can use the cover letter space provided on the submission form to tell us about your artwork. Feel free to skip the cover letter entirely by putting something like “No COVER LETTER” in the field or by leaving the field blank. NOTE: We do read and enjoy cover letters, but never before selections have been made.
- Editors are prohibited from rejecting writing or artwork on first review. All writing and artwork gets at least 2 reviews before a decision is made.
- Editors assume you are smarter than we are. We will strive to understand your intention, stay open-minded and try to avoid imposing our presumptions on your work. We will never use irresponsible, misguided and self-aggrandizing slurs to describe your work like “purple writing” or “that technique is a gimmick”.
- We may use writing and artwork that has been accepted on a revolving basis during the submission period as blog posts on The Raw Art Review’s home page.
- There is a $10 reading Fee for submission. We are also offering a $10 expedite fee. Expedited work is reviewed and a response given within one week.
- We value the slush pile. (Not a derogatory term among our editors). Writing or Artwork is not rejected as much as it is “completed” and saved, with your permission, in the slush pile for future consideration. We will of course seek your permission before anything in the slush pile is published and lay no claim to saved works.
- 3 poems or 1 short story or 5 photos of artwork per entry. You may enter as many times as you like but the $10.00 fee applies to each entry. NOTE: We generally can not publish stories that are more than 4000 words. This is not a strict limit but is a guideline. If the story is too long for the journal but we like it, we may ask for you to submit an alternative and, occasionally, will publish a story longer than 4000 words. It also could lead to book publication.
- Simultaneous submission is fine.
- Previously published writing or artwork is fine as long as you own re-publication rights. We are happy to credit the original publisher upon your request.
- Deadline for submission is WEDNESDAY, JUNE 21, 2023.
- Please use Submittable for submissions. Submittable accounts are free to submitters, and the tool is great for organizing and tracking submissions. If this presents a hardship, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We recognize that the fee may be a deterrent for some submitters who are challenged by financial hardship. We consider a limited number of requests for financial aid in covering part or all of the fee. Please send an email to email@example.com to make a request for financial aid. PLEASE NOTE: UCP/RAR has its own financial challenges, so please do not request financial aid unless it is absolutely necessary. Thank you.
- RAR has implemented a “3 Strikes and WE are out” rule. If you have been declined for publication in 3 OR MORE SEPARATE SUBMISSIONS, please notify us at our email address – firstname.lastname@example.org. Your next submission to any RAR Journal Issue or Contest will be free, and all of our editors will be notified to pay particular attention to your submission. NOTE – This is 3 separate submissions – not 3 works submitted as part of a single submission.
- UnCollected Press will reject all manuscripts that in the opinion of the editors intends to promote racist, homophobic, misogynist, and other idealogies that target hate speech toward any persons of any race, creed, color, and religion.